WHAT IS A VOLUNTEER ADVOCATE?
A Volunteer Advocate is a vital member of the SART response to teen and adult victims of sexual assault. After receiving special training (30 hours), Volunteer Advocates work under the supervision of a Mosaic Georgia SART Coordinator and provide “on-call” direct-victim assistance for evening, weekend and holiday schedules. Ten hours of continuing education is required each year to keep current with practices, resources and the laws. Persons interested in becoming a Volunteer Advocate must complete an application process which includes a criminal background check.
- Respond to crisis calls as relayed to them through the SART Coordinator and Mosaic Georgia answering service
- Serve as a vital member of the SART responding to Mosaic Georgia whereby the Mosaic Georgia-SART work together to gather evidence for law enforcement investigations and to provide direct support to the victims
- Provide emotional support to the victim throughout the forensic medical examination, [completed by a Mosaic Georgia Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE)] and while the victim is interviewed by law
- Informs the victim of Mosaic’s follow-up services and provide referrals when needs are identified. This process is carried out within the safe, caring environment of Mosaic’s facility
- All Mosaic Georgia volunteers receive specialized and comprehensive training before starting their volunteer service.
- Volunteers involved in direct service to our clients will receive 30 hours of training in addition to time observing other Mosaic Georgia team members and attendance at continuing education workshops.
Given the sensitive and confidential nature of our direct services, all persons interested in volunteering in our facility go through an application process.
HOW ELSE CAN I HELP?
We could not provide the community with all these services without generous hearts and helping hands. Here are just a few other ways you can help:
- Organize a birthday fundraiser or special event to benefit Mosaic Georgia
- Community awareness efforts –representing Mosaic Georgia at health/church fairs and community festivals
- Talk about us with your friends and on your social media
- Connect us with people or businesses who may be interested in our mission
If you are interested in learning more about becoming part of Mosaic Georgia’s volunteer team, we would be happy to answer any question you might have about our programs. We can also supply an information packet detailing our volunteer opportunities.