MONTHLY PEER REVIEW ONLINE
FOR SANE/SAFE ADULT
FORENSIC MEDICAL EXAMS
The work of a Sexual Assault Nurse/Forensic Examiner (SANE/SAFE) is important to a community’s Sexual Assault Response Team. The practice requires skill in providing care for patients who experienced trauma, gathering medical history along with evidence for possible criminal investigations. Opportunities for peer review and support are limited, particularly in communities with part-time SANE practitioners.
Mosaic Georgia now offers monthly Peer Review Online sessions for Adult Forensic Medical Exams (FME). Peer Review Online (PRO) enables Sexual Assault Nurse/Forensic Examiners (SANE/SAFE) to present a case and discuss interpretation of findings, complications with the process, review documentation, request and provide feedback.
Peer Reviews are moderated by experienced SANEs to foster an environment of shared learning and skill-building. The PRO/SANE program will utilize Zoom, a HIPAA-compliant web-conferencing platform. Our online peer reviews are offered every 3rd Wednesday of each month, as follows: April 21, May 19, June 16, and July 21 at 12:30pm ET.
Who can join Peer Review Online?
Sexual Assault Centers with a forensic medical practice and hospital-based sexual assault forensic medical programs may join after completing the registration form and confidentiality agreement and payment of the annual fee. Individual SANE/SAFE practitioners may participate under the registration of their place of practice.
Benefits to Sexual Assault Centers
- Objective quality assurance resource for your forensic medical program.
- Ensure your SANE/SAFEs use the latest best practices in forensic medical care.
- Provide support and objective feedback consistently.
- Low-cost professional development & continuing education for your SANE/SAFEs
- No travel time or expense
Benefits to SANE/SAFEs
- Discuss clinical issues of cases of suspected sexual assault in a professional community of peers.
- Shared resources, learning and feedback on challenging issues.
- Enhance the quality of documentation of physical findings in cases of suspected sexual assault.
- Professional development and proficiency enhancement.
- SANEs earn 1 Contact Hour for each completed session.
- Connect to larger network of SANE practitioners.
- Remote access to meetings.
What is needed to participate?
No travel required. This remote-access meeting is done with the standard features on most office computers and laptops:
- Access to a computer with high speed internet
- Webcam (Built-in or Plug-in)
- Microphone (Built-in or Plug-in)
- Speakers (Built-in or Plug-in)
- PowerPoint or other applications to share case for review
What are the expectations of participating sites?
- Peer Review sessions typically last one hour.
- Attend on a routine basis (at least 9 sessions per year); the SANE/SAFE participants may vary throughout the year.
- Complete evaluations required by CEU approver.
- Take turns presenting cases for peer review two to three times per year.
- Participate in periodic surveys to help identify trends (reports will be shared).
- Case topics must be submitted at least one week in advance.
Registration Fee is based on the number of SANEs in your program. (SANEs are registered for PRO through their employer.) Once agency is registered, affiliated SANEs may register and participate in any and/or all the sessions offered.
Pricing is based on the total number of SANEs on staff and on-call at time of registration, regardless of their participation in PRO/SANE.
*Because this is professional training, registration should be eligible for related grant reimbursement.
Note: Payment of the annual rate provides 2 months free.