MONTHLY PEER REVIEW ONLINE
FOR SANE/SAFE ADULT
FORENSIC MEDICAL EXAMS
The work of a Sexual Assault Nurse/Forensic Examiner (SANE/SAFE) is important to a community’s Sexual Assault Response Team. The practice requires skill in providing care for patients who experienced trauma, gathering medical history along with evidence for possible criminal investigations. Opportunities for peer review and support are limited, particularly in communities with part-time SANE practitioners.
Mosaic Georgia now offers monthly Peer Review Online sessions for Adult Forensic Medical Exams (FME). Peer Review Online (PRO) enables Sexual Assault Nurse/Forensic Examiners (SANE/SAFE) to present a case and discuss interpretation of findings, complications with the process, review documentation, request and provide feedback.
Peer Reviews are moderated by experienced SANEs to foster an environment of shared learning and skill-building. The PRO/SANE program will utilize Zoom, a HIPAA-compliant web-conferencing platform. Our online peer reviews are offered every 3rd Wednesday of each month at 12:30pm ET.
Who can join Peer Review Online?
Sexual Assault Centers with a forensic medical practice and hospital-based sexual assault forensic medical programs may join after completing the registration form and confidentiality agreement and payment of the annual fee. Individual SANE/SAFE practitioners may participate under the registration of their place of practice.
Benefits to Sexual Assault Centers
- Objective quality assurance resource for your forensic medical program.
- Ensure your SANE/SAFEs use the latest best practices in forensic medical care.
- Provide support and objective feedback consistently.
- Low-cost professional development & continuing education for your SANE/SAFEs
- No travel time or expense
Benefits to SANE/SAFEs
- Discuss clinical issues of cases of suspected sexual assault in a professional community of peers.
- Shared resources, learning and feedback on challenging issues.
- Enhance the quality of documentation of physical findings in cases of suspected sexual assault.
- Professional development and proficiency enhancement.
- SANEs earn 1 Contact Hour for each completed session.
- Connect to larger network of SANE practitioners.
- Remote access to meetings.
What are the expectations of participating sites?
- Peer Review sessions typically last one hour.
- Attend on a routine basis (at least 9 sessions per year); the SANE/SAFE participants may vary throughout the year.
- Complete evaluations required by CEU approver.
- Take turns presenting cases for peer review two to three times per year.
- Participate in periodic surveys to help identify trends (reports will be shared).
- Case topics must be submitted at least one week in advance.
Thanks to the generous support of the R. Howard Dobbs, Jr. Foundation, Mosaic Georgia is able to offer PRO/SANE at no cost for the 2023 calendar year for Sexual Assault Centers, Children’s Advocacy Centers and other facilities (i.e. Hospitals) that offer forensic medical services in the state of Georgia. If you are located outside of Georgia, please contact Maryam Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about out-of-state fees or if you have any other questions about PRO/SANE.
If you would like more information, please complete the interest form and someone will contact you.